Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to view a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This information will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do I Must Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to take away the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will ensure that when you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate through the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must consider the grade in which your yard currently sits and the amount of soil that you need to install for the new lawn. In certain special instances when you may give a layer of brand new soil without being above grade, you might leave the existing lawn in place. New lawns will need a minimum depth of three inches of any well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed by using sod cutter, employing a bobcat and an excavator in difficult to access yards can be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For The New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is extremely important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your new lawn will spot far better growth through the years if a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the better expensive the soil, the better quality.
The ideal lawn ought to be made with at least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand and the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also have a strong odor needs to be avoided too. In most cases topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure you ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make certain the composting process is done. A soil analysis using a neutral ph balance needs to be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf is definitely the preferred method of installing a whole new lawn. Sod could be installed year round and turf farms are ready to accept supply all year round.
The range of grass seed or sod to utilize depends on:
1. The usage of your lawn area. This can include the amount of traffic that the lawn area is exposed to, including pets and children.
2. The amount of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
In most cases turf which comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry a variety of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn could be completed by using these basic steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams usually do not match at the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little extra work and spending a little extra time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers all of the soil. If you leave gaps in between the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be a difficult job if you don’t spend the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position with a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod when you install. Usually do not enable the turf dry out at any point. If the sod is allowed to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day may require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the newest lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a brand new lawn can be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification for any property.